Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sewing: Waldorf Doll Wardobes (Part II)

In addition to some cotton Summer Sets, every girl, or doll, needs some comfy clothes to wear so I sewed these little Waldorf dolls some knits! I started with a version of my Bateau Neck Top pattern, with a boatneck and boxy cut, which makes it possible to pull on a soft bodied doll without any closures.

I have to admit I love the possibility of matching outfits for my girls and their dolls! I used scraps from clothing I've sewn for Audrey, Scarlett and Tess, just in case they want to match.

I thought some wide-legged knit pants would be fun with these tops. These pants would work well with a woven fabric too so I plan to try that soon.

Then I made a knit set with skinny pants and altered the Bateau Neck Top to create a tunic with a curved hem. A "flower" cut from bright pink knit scraps (similar to the flowers I made here) was the perfect embellishment.

Finally these dolls have something to wear with the cardigans I knit for them!

(I talk more about these cute nesting chipboard suitcases in the first Waldorf Doll Wardrobes post.)

Pajamas are my girls' favorite thing to wear so bed clothes were in order. I should make some knit skivvies for these dolls, but first I made some nightgowns to match the Baby Doll Baskets I made last year with Dana's pattern.

I made a tiny version of my Angel Sleeve Dress pattern with a snap closure in the back and added some rickrack trim to the hem. Cute! I'll need to make some more of these dresses. (You can find a free pattern for the Doll Angel Sleeve Dress here.)

While I was playing with the Angel Sleeve Dress pattern I thought it would be fun to make something even dressier for these dolls. I thought with a wrap style modification the Angel dress could become a Goddess Dress! Pretty fancy, right?

F.O.E. (fold-over elastic) is the key to these dresses, which lends itself to all sort of fun trimming possibilities. 

I love this dress for Scarlett's doll in white ruffle knit fabric and glitter gold FOE. The dress can be tied in front or in back.

I found some great pleated fabric at Jo-Ann and paired it with polka-dot FOE for Audrey's doll. This dress has a bit of an Asian feel, don't you think?

And for Tess's doll, I used the stretch crinkle panne velvet to make a dress similar to Tess' own favorite: her Out of Africa dress from the STYLO 03 shoot.

I have a whole pile of fabric pulled together to make more doll clothes because it's so much fun! I'd like to make the patterns available too. And maybe grade them for other sizes dolls. But then there's the list of things to sew for my girls. And maybe myself. So we'll see.


Misformilk said...

Adorable!!! And you've made SO MUCH!!! It's been fun to see your doll clothes posts - I'm doing much the same thing for my little girl who just became interested in dolls recently. So much fun to make these little outfits!

Dotted Whale said...

What a fantastic wardrobe!! I'd love to be one of those dolls. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...