We are so finicky, aren't we? Always anxious for the next season.... I was so happy to have a sunny summer but now I can't wait for the cool breezes of Fall.
So even though it's still warm outside I am getting ready! I'm looking through my stash of Fall fabrics and thinking about some handmade wardrobe items for myself and my girls. I'm looking online for fun Fall accessories. And I'm dreaming of a woodsy cabin where we can cozy up by a fire.
I sewed this maxi skirt from some crepe de chine chevron fabric I'd stashed away last Spring. I found it in a remnant bin! I wasn't quite sure what to do with such an oversized print (though I loved the colors) until I looked at the chevrons sideways and it suddenly looked right on for the tribal trend.
I didn't follow a pattern for the skirt. I cut half my waist circumference, marked the length and then drew the hem in an arc as wide as my 60" fabric allowed. It's probably a "half circle" maxi skirt.
I added a lining, which I hemmed separately, and sewed them together with 2" elastic for the waistband. It was really simple to sew, but I'd be happy to do a tutorial if you'd like.
2. Speaking of mixed metals, I'm really into gold and brass this Fall. I would wear this Chunky Gold Heart Necklace all the time: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/chunky-gold-heart-necklace
3. These Stone Sea Glass earrings are my favorite shade of blue: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/2-stone-sea-glass-stud-earrings
4. I could imagine putting the location of my favorite place in the woods on this Custom Map Bracelet: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/custom-map-bracelet
5. This Trinity Wooden cuff would look fabulous with a rolled-sleeve denim shirt: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/trinity-wooden-cuff\
6. I would love to dangle this handcast (from the real thing) Blue Pinecone necklace around my neck this Fall: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/blue-pinecone-necklace
Do you know Uncommon Goods? Not only do they have a great selection of handmade jewelry (see here) and other unique (uncommon) products, but they are genuinely focused on sustainability. Part of their company mission (which you can read about here) is make certain they are environmentally friendly, socially responsible and an ever-more rewarding place to work. It's an approach to be admired, and one I hope becomes less and less uncommon.
You should check out their great selection of gifts for women, which is conveniently categorized here. It's never to early to get ideas for the holidays, or perhaps you want to treat yourself for getting the kids successfully back to school!
1. I've always wanted one of these Hand Embroidered State pillows to throw on the couch in my some-day cabin: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/hand-embroidered-state-pillows
2. Next to that couch will be a side table with a clever bowl for snacks, such as this Unzipped Glass Zipper Bag (we tend to be hungrier in the colder months): http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/unzipped-glass-zipper-bag
3. I wish I could put an agate wall with backlighting in my cabin bathroom but these Agate Coasters might satisfy my craving for semi-precious stone: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/agate-coasters-set-of-4
4. Cabin or not, this individually thrown Make Waves Yarn Bowl, is just the thing for curling up on the couch with some knitting this Fall: http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/make-waves-yarn-bowl
Have you already spent the $75 credit in your mind? Enter the Uncommon Goods giveaway right here!
a Rafflecopter giveaway