Got a man on your gift list? I find them more challenging to give handmade, which is my favorite way to give. A bit more tricky to knit or crochet or sew for them. So I came up with a handmade gift for men they don't have to wear: a paper covered comp book with a leather strap. In this age of technology a notebook with a vintage vibe is such a great change of pace, don't you think!?
I love this map and license plate paper I found at Jo-Ann. I used it to make this comp book for the Jo-Ann Fall Lookbook a few months ago. I purchased the suede lace there too.
To make this comp book you'll need:
- a standard composition book (9 3/4" x 7 1/2")
- 2 yards of suede lace (as in shoe lace) or thin leather cord
- Krylon Easy Tack Repositionable Spray
- 2 pieces 12"x12" scrapbooking paper (I used Paper House Productions sku#67636 53499 from Jo-Ann)
- X-acto knife or scissors
- Drill with 1/4" bit
To make the book: (you may also want to refer to my phototutorial for covering a comp book)
- Overlap the two pieces of scrapbooking paper by at least an inch and use the spray adhesive to adhere them to form one larger piece of paper. This overlap seam will be on the backside of the composition book.
- Follow the directions on the adhesive spray and coat the wrong side of the scrapbooking paper.
- With the composition book closed, position the composition book with the front cover down on the wrong side of the paper close to the edge, on the opposite side from the seam, and with a bit of extra paper on the three sides of the cover. Press down firmly on the book to adhere the paper to the front cover.
- Fold the remaining paper over the spine tightly and across the back cover. Smooth down the paper and press it firmly to adhere.
- Using an X-acto knife or scissors, carefully trim the extra paper from around the cover.
- Open the cover of the composition book and place it on a piece of wood. Drill one hole through the front cover from the inside of the book. Place this hole about ½” from the front edge of the composition book cover and center it from top to bottom.
- Take your suede lace and thread it through the hole. Tie a double knot to secure. Wrap the leather around the book and tie a loose knot to close it.
Now you've got a handmade gift that would work for the men in your life too.